Monday, November 14, 2005

For your amusement.

My son, he has a southern accent.

"In there" or "over there" sounds like "A day-yer"

And I hear that all stinkin' day long. " A day-yer, mommy, a day-yer!" Which can mean anything from "Look over there, mom, there's something cool!" to "I want to get out of bed and go into the den to watch cartoons." Translating toddler is totally a gift.

I have no idea where he learned it. Not from me, right? I'm all of a sudden filled with self-doubt. Do I twang? Do I make three-sylable words out of everything? Not that I'm ashamed to have a southern accent- I am southern born and bred- but I always hoped that I had a softer accent. Not a harsh, twangy one. I've found myself laughing with people about it (not in meanness, and not with strangers) and then asking, "But I don't have that bad of an accent do I? Do I?"

Speaking of being southern born and bred... My husband told me the other day that he didn't want to move to Texas (I was suggesting Austin- I've heard good things) because he doesn't want to live in the south! Why, oh why, didn't we cover this in pre-marital counseling?

I can totally understand wanting to live other places, but the south should always be an option!

2 comments:

Hong and Tami Kim said...

We were JUST saying last night that we didn't think you or Nomie had a thick southern accent. We were thinking of all the people who DO have REALLY bad southern accents - you weren't one of them. You do have a little - but not much.

desiree said...

Awww! Thanks for the affirmation!
p.s.- why were you talking about that?