Friday, October 06, 2006

We're Back!

We're back home! We got back yesterday evening. The Monkey was so excited to see us, too!

I have to admit, it's nice being in our own home, and to have our baby back.

Want to hear about our Wednesday? I wrote this on Wednesday night...

Today we got up and took the tour of uptown- the upper west side, Harlem and the upper east side. We got to see the cathedral, Grant’s Tomb, the Apollo theater, etc… We saw the soup kitchen from Seinfeld, too. And the buildings were so beautiful! That’s one of the things that I have loved about NYC- the architecture. (the old stuff, not so much the new)

We went to the Metropolitan museum! We spent about 5 hours wandering around- lost most of the time! The Egyptian wing was really cool! We saw a mummy- it was really small.

Then we wandered around the American wing. We saw “Washington Crossing the Delaware”- it is absolutely gigantic. I was excited to see a Rembrandt Peale, too. And we saw the decorative arts part, too. They have an entire Frank Loyd Wright room. Windows, doors, furniture, ceiling, floor- everything is in there! They had several other complete rooms, too, but that one was the coolest. They also had a room filled with glass cases that were just stuffed full of things like teapots, plates, spoons, coins, baseball cards, paintings, etc… they were just all together (ordered and numbered, of course). It was really surreal.

The Arms and Armor was a really neat exhibit. We saw a suit of armor that belonged to Henry VIII, and lots of swords and even some Japanese armor. We got to see some art nouveau designs- furniture and textiles mostly.

We saw some of their Modern collection. A Lichtenstein sculpture, some really cool paintings. But by the time we got there, we were getting tired.

I think that the only thing that we didn’t really see was the Roman and Greek wing (we just walked thru quickly) and 20th century European painting and sculpture.

For lunch, we ate at the Met’s cafeteria. It was pretty good, and kind of cool to eat at.

After the Met, we went back to MOMA, to look in the stores. They have the coolest stuff! We went back mostly because there was a little stuffed animal that we wanted to get the Monkey for a souvenier.

After MOMA, we went back to the Time’s square area, and went to one of those NY souvenier shops to get some stuff for the Monkey and the fam. We walked down and went to the SWATCH store, and I got a watch with my birthday money! (thanks fam!!!)

After that, we walked down, and I got a gyro with rice and salad from a stand for my supper, and RJ got a burger and fries from the diner across the street from our hotel.

Tonight we’re packing, and tomorrow we’re going home! We’re both pretty tired, and we’re ready to see our little Monkey.




I'll be posting pictures soon- maybe today, but probably tomorrow!