Thursday, February 05, 2009

Childhood rites of passage

We've had our first official "I'll ask my mom, and you ask yours" moment.

Amy and I used to do that all the time when we were little. If our moms found out, we were automatically not allowed to do whatever it was that we wanted to do.

The Monkey and the little girl he plays with in the afternoons have started doing this. He'll come in and say, "Mom! Tomorrow night I'm going to have a spend the night at her house!" And I'll be all, "Are you talking to her or her mom?" "Her." "Well, that's not going to work with our plans, sorry!"

I think this speaks more to her personality than his. Apparently when they play together she is the boss of him. I don't think he minds, but I keep trying to remind him that she doesn't have to be the boss of him if he doesn't want her to be.

So far, though, they seem to play together really well, despite the bossiness. They run around in the yard, play with Transformers and Star Wars guys and play catch and kick a ball around and stuff.

I never really had neighbor kids my age around, that I can remember, except for when I was about the Monkey's age. According to my mom it wasn't a very good thing. We played beauty parlor and she cut my hair.